jeudi 28 janvier 2010

Le spleen et idéal prosaïque


I live next to an expensive gourmet market in the gastronomic capital of France. Contrary to what this might suggest, my daily food intake has been rather simple and meager. I’ve had a fair share of frozen pizza dinners with my host brothers, refrigerated ham sandwiches from the university cafeteria, and crackers for sustenance. The “one real meal a day” practice still exists within the scope of my daily routine (followed by a multi-vitamin so I don’t die, of course). My odd sleeping/academic schedule conflicts with standard meal times, making it quite difficult to obtain substantial nourishment without settling for a greasy kebab or the ubiquitous MacDo value menu (Thankfully, I haven’t resorted to that…yet. It’s inevitable). Nevertheless, this does not alter my perception of quotidian food consumption in France.

I understand completely that I only have myself to blame for my malnourishment. I COULD actualize my ideal breakfast (fresh bread, butter, homemade strawberry jam…my host mom makes her own jam! and a steaming bowl of café au lait) by sacrificing a few hours of sleep, but I feel as though sleep is essential to my happiness and mental well-being…what am I saying. I’m an ungrateful douche for not taking advantage of these gastronomic opportunities.

One can easily live up to the perennial hype surrounding stereotypical French cuisine. You can purchase a decent bottle of wine or champagne, cheese, and bread for a few Euros or dine at one of the many Michelin rated restaurants that are scattered throughout Lyon. I’ve been trying to indulge in these aforementioned gastronomic opportunities, but I constantly forget that my stay here is only temporary. I do not regard my time here as a vacation, a significant “once in a lifetime experience,” or any other trite outlook that is commonly associated with studying abroad. I just wanted to ameliorate my fluency, read more books in French, experience things on my own, and learn in a different environment that isn’t good ol’ stifflin’ UVa. (My dad thinks I’m “street stupid,” but I beg ta diffah). In fact, I do not feel as though “real life” has ever been put on hold - it has been progressing at a marginally better rate. Being here does not feel foreign and exciting. Rather, it feels somewhat natural and expected. If anything, I have always regarded life back home as bizarre.

I initially had no intention of ever writing in this blog – it was supposed to be strictly for photos because I’m very opposed to blogs that glorify life abroad and the nuances of a “different culture” through bombastic language. My host mom asked me if I was disappointed in France, but I simply said no. I couldn’t find the words to say, “It’s what I expected,” in time. Sometimes I do think I suppress thoughts pertaining to an idealized image of France in order to evade conscious disappointment. And I do often feel the need to live up to those idealized expectations….it’s just a matter of perspective, I guess. Perhaps I should just go back to photo blogging. I just want to share my experiences through the simplicity of photographs.

Aaaand now I should go find a snack and get ready for another long literature lecture (6-8pm). Cries.

P.S. I’m still trying to find a way to scan my Lyon photos… I was feeling adventurous and decided to try Photo Service. Unfortunately, they were super expensive and didn’t even give me a CD with the images preloaded onto it. Even CVS/Photo Station does that, Photo Service. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOURSELF NOW?

6 commentaires:

  1. liv,
    I do hope you don't stop writing on the blog, as I find your post insightful, self-aware, and just snarky enough to be funny; it makes my day! There's nothing wrong with great toast and yogurt, but please believe me when I tell you, Michelle Liv can't go long without creating an elegant, savory dish (with great presentation, i might add). Don't let your fans down, and show us what you come up with in the gastronomical capitol of France!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. God, I really hope you're not referencing my blog when you wrote about "blogs that glorify life abroad." I just tell it like it is, wassup. Urm, no, but really, keep writing about stuff like this. Please! You're good at writing, blah, blah...compliment, compliment...

    PS - go out and f-ing eat. You're in France. And no matter how chic Virginia tries to be, they will never be France. So go binge while you can!!!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I don't want to think about Virginia ever again.

    I've been enjoying dining out on weekends, but I wish I was able to use our kitchen/had unlimited money to spend on food...

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Hai friend,

    I will be the noneloquent one and say waddap gurl, lub yo blog.

    I really enjoyed reading it :) You eloquent Inuit.
    Hope you are having a blasty-blast and fill your belly with French cuisine!

    P.S. this is Lina. I am so incompetent, IDK if you will know it is me.
    TOODLESSSSSSS.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. .il faut que tu continues à écrire. T'es phénoménale.
    And your photos are also fantastic.

    RépondreSupprimer